Thursday, February 15, 2007

3x8 - "Flashes Before Your Eyes" Flashbacks

Oh my god, wow! G, my beef with the show is gone. No more, I've buried the hatchet as I feel the show has once again kicked into high gear.

1. After turning the key, Desmond wakes up in his loft. I'm going to say that he travelled through time and wound up re-insterting himself into that point in his life.

2. Ouch, Charles Widmore is a mean bastard. It seems that he did not know about Desmond and Penelope until that very moment.

3. Charlie Pace was singing "Wonderwall" by Oasis. I will post the video for that song in another blog but the lyrics Desmond caught him at were, " 'Cause maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me, and afterall, you're my wonderwall." Foreshadowing perhaps? (On another note could Oasis be the real life basis for Driveshaft?)

4. The woman at the jewerly shop seems to be very knowladgeable about the universe. She seemed to know beforehand that Desmond was set on a path that he couldn't escape from. Even if he proposed to Penelope, I imagine he still would have found himself on the Island some way or another.

Parting thoughts: This flashabck answered a major question about the show regarding destiny. Destiny exists on this show. It is every castaway's destiny to be on the Island. One way or another they would have ended up there (except possibly Hurley, more on that in another blog). It is everyone's destiny to die at one point or another and nothing can be done to change that. If a person is going to be killed, there is nothing anyone can do to prevent it, one way or another that person will die.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the episode was really great as well. I loved what they did with the "flashback" and it's great to see them having fun with the structure of the show. I don't know if it was timetravel (I'm not ruling it out) but I somehow think of it as more of a Lucid dream that the monster infiltrated at some point to talk to and guide desmond. I don't really know what the monster is, but it's guided people before to secrets of the island (such as the pearl) and various other things. The old woman is very curious, especially when she says "pushing that button is the only great thing you will ever do." I like that most, because if he does save Charlie, it would mean that it wasn't great, which is some amazing forshadowing, as Charlie is kind of a bad influence at times. I'm very excited to see how it all goes, and I you very well might be right about Hurley. I'm just reallyk excited to see what happens next. Also, any thoughts about how time works on the island. They keep hinting at something, but I don't know what.

-G

Monday, February 19, 2007 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Sage said...

Oh yeah I feel like this was the best episode ever! They put a really cool spin on the flashback element and this also an amazing flashback.

You're definately right, they're hinting at something time-related in this season. I'm having the thought that time may be flowing differently outside of the Island. One of the Others was reading, "A Brief History Of Time," "Mittelos" is an anagram for "lost time," and I read an interview with Lindelof in which he said they are planning to go somewhere with the world series clip. On the other hand, I believe they said that time was passing normally at the San Deigo comic-con.

Monday, February 19, 2007 9:46:00 PM  
Blogger Sage said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, February 19, 2007 9:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home