Friday, February 02, 2007

Less than a week left...

NOTE: All theories alluded to in this blog are either in the comments of the Lost Community blog over at thelostcommunity.blogspot.com or were introduced in the Lost Community Podcast.

I just wanted everyone who took the time to read this (all one of you), to know that I haven't forgotten about this blog. I'd like to say that I've been walking the Earth like Kane and Kung-Fu, hiding out in the Apollo chocolate factory, trying to locate Rachel Blake so I could ask her out, or even hunting down spoilers for future episodes, but alas, all I've been caught up with other shows. Lost returned with such a wimper this season that I've been wildly entertained by Heroes, Prison Break, and 24.

I've got to say that I am very disapointed in the apparent lack of hype there has been for Lost during the hiatus. While Heroes was on its big hiatus, there was new information coming out every week. By that I mean real nuggets of info on upcoming episodes, spoilers, names of upcoming actors/characters, production photographs, all stuff that kept the show fresh in a viewer's mind.

What did ABC do when Lost went on hiatus? Well... they really didn't do anything. The show that was supposed to tide us over the past twelve weeks was Day Break. As an incentive to Lost viewers, they would add one 30(?) second clip from an upcoming episode per week about half-way through the show. Day Break was cancelled after only six episodes. The remaining Lost moments were made available on abc.com. The only other note worthy things ABC did was put out two official podcasts, but they were so far apart (and the second one was so short), that I nearly forgot about Lost.

Can you really blame me? The show has been having a lack luster season so far. We learned very little about the island, very little about the Others', and next to nothing was revealed in the flashbacks. What's the biggest revelation thus far? That there are two islands? That Sun is a liar? That Jack has a hard time letting go? That the monster/island communicates with certain people in mysterious ways? THAT HENRY GALE'S REAL NAME IS BEN LINUS? Some of these we could have figured out on our own, the other two are just weak. Whatever you do, dear reader, DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THAT GOD-AWFUL 24-ESQUE CLIFFHANGER THAT CLOSED OUT 2006!

Now I must say that this lack of information has really hurt the Lost fan community. I'm just shocked at the number of people who are grasping at straws, trying to come up with something that remotely makes some kind of sense. One person said in a comment on the Lost Community blog, with no basis at all mind you, that the Others were trying to appear to be human, but not actually human. SHUTDOWN! What did this person think the Others to be I wonder? Could he have been thinking of the skin-job Cylons you see on Battlestar Galactica, or possibly the Homnuculi you see on Fullmetal Alchemist? There is no basis for this theory. One Piece's Monkey D. Luffy couldn't be any less baseless with his wild proclimations.

Another theory, read over episode eight of the Lost Community Podcast is that there are twelve factions of Others, the basis being some skewed Biblical refrence that I didn't catch on the show, and that Ms. Klugh lead the faction that oversees the children that were captured during the first 48 days. SHUTDOWN! This person clearly missed that all important scene where she tells Michael to rescue Ben from the hatch. Lets also not forget the scene in the season two finale where Ben shows up on the dock. Every one of the Others acknowledges Ben's full authority over them. Even Mr. Friendly seemed nervous when Ben asked him about his lack of a beard. There are at most two factions of Others people, those directly loyal to Ben, and those loyal to Juilet. That is all we can say regarding their situation UNTIL MORE GETS REVEALED ON THE SHOW!

I also gotta love the theories surrounding Rousseau that have been constructed over this season. The first one, and this sickens me to no end, is that Ben is Alex's biological father. The basis for this is simply that Ben's last words to Juilet before he went under the knife were, "did Alex ask about me?" and that's it! This person had nothing else to base that theory on but that ONE FIRGGIN LINE! I nearly crushed my iPod when I heard that one. Ben at one time sleeping with Rousseau? I almost lost my lunch when I heard that one.

The second theory, and this one is even more baseless then the first, is that Rousseau and her team were members of the DHARMA Initiative, and that they were all killed in the "incident" referred to in the Orientation film, and that Rousseau was so tramuatized that she doesn't remember anything about DHARMA at all. SHUTDOWN! Lets go back to episode nine of season one, Solitary, in when we meet Rousseau for the very first time. Remember what she says? THAT SHE KILLED EVERY MEMBER OF HER CREW WHEN THEY GOT INFECTED WITH THE VIRUS! She got there maybe before the "incident" but she admitted to killing every one of them with one month of being on the island. Also watch the scenes in the hut. Notice the absence of a DHARMA logo? IT'S BECAUSE SHE NEVER WORKED FOR THEM!

Now I'm not going to condem Lost just yet. Lets not forget that the season isn't over and there is still time for the show to turn itself around. However, if these episodes are any indication, I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for season three. All we can do now is wait until Wednesday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The time away has soured your attitude, I fear. I'm really enjoying this season so far, and the first six episodes didn't give too much mythology, but they were pretty heavy on events happening at that time. The show hasn't been this immediate since the beginning. I read in an article that the producers are trying to focus on the events of the island, because if they just focused on mythology, the show would become kinda boring, and they may be right. I'll be very intersted to see what your post will be coming up here.

-G

Friday, February 09, 2007 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger Sage said...

That's true it has killed my attitude. When I heard way back last May that they were going to air the episodes like this, I figured that we'd get something to really think about when that run ended. Instead we got a "see you next week - oh wait, we won't see you next week," cliffhanger. That's what it felt like and I'm glad the show is back now. If I could just get access to a working computer for more then 10 minutes I'll get my blogs for this next episode.

Monday, February 12, 2007 8:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home