Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Another great TV show getting screwed over...

Okay, I assume you all have heard the news by now, Lost will have a grand total of forty-eight episodes remaining after this season (ratings permitting). In a normal TV schedule, that's enough for two more seasons. However, ABC and Bad Robot have agreed that the remaining forty-eight will be aired over three seasons, sixteen episodes per season. I personally, am disappointed at this news. Lost is a show which deserves, needs, and thrives on twenty-plus episode seasons. I have always enjoyed watching the major story arcs play out in each season, with a little bit more unfolding in each episode. In the grand scheme of things, I have yet to be completely disappointed by a story resolution, and I seriously doubt I will be disappointed at the end of season three.

So I have to ask why the change? Why now? Despite the harsh criticism that many have had about the show earlier this season (myself included), it's very clear that Lost is still running as strong as it was when it first started back in 2004. If each sixteen episode pod is going to be approached as a seperate season, instead of two seasons in three years, then these new story arcs will end much sooner, and they won't be built up as much as they have been in the first three seasons. It should be clear by now that the writers are slowly moving towards an end to their story, and ABC shouldn't be trying to influence how the writers should able to tell the story, and allow the show to end in two more seasons with twenty-four episodes each as the writers had said in earlier interviews.

But what do I know? I'm just a blogger with an addiction to Lost. This is after all just my opinion on their agreement, and the show could turn out to thrive even better on the shortened seasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home